Welcome to Book Explorers! It’s like a book club for kids that you can do anytime, anywhere. This month we’re talking about Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story by Kevin Noble Maillard, illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal. Join our Kids' Virtual Book Club on July 15 and our Clay Workshop on July 23.
Beginning with “Fry bread is food” and ending with, “Fry bread is you,” Maillard takes the reader on a journey that celebrates the complex culture and traditions of Indigenous nations and communities through a simple food: fry bread.
Check out the book from any Denver Public Library location. Register for a library card online to begin checking out eBooks right away.
- What makes fry bread important to Native American families' history and culture? Read the Author’s Note at the back of the book to learn more.
- Think about your own family. What foods are important to you? What do the important foods say about your family?
What To Read Next
- We Are Grateful: Otsaligeliga by Traci Sorell, illustrated by Frané Lessac
- Yum! Mmmm! Que Rico!: Americas' Sproutings by Pat Mora, illustrated by Rafael López
- The Perfect Gift by Paula Yoo, illustrated by Shirley Ng-Benitez
- Dragons and Marshmallows by Asia Citro, illustrated by Marion Lindsay
- Where's Halmoni? by Julie Kim